Lawang Sewu is an ancient relic of the Dutch era built in 1904. Originally this building for the headquarters of the Dutch railway company (tram) or Nederlandsch Indishe Spoorweg Naatschappij (NIS). This art deco-style three-story building (1850-1940) is the work of renowned Dutch architect, Prof Jacob F Klinkhamer and BJ Queendag. Lawang Sewu is located on the east side of Tugu Muda Semarang, or on the corner of Jalan Pandanaran and Jalan Pemuda. Called Lawang Sewu (Thousand Doors), this is because the building has very many doors. In fact, the door is not up to a thousand. The building has many tall and wide windows, so people often think of it as a door.
The main building of Lawang Sewu is a three-story building that has two wings stretching to the right and left parts. If visitors enter the main building, they will find a large staircase to the second floor. Among the stairs was a large glass showing the pictures of two young Dutch women made of glass. All building structures, doors and windows adapt the Dutch architectural style. With all the beauty and beauty of this Lawang Sewu is one of the beautiful places for Pre Wedding.
Lawang Sewu Post Restoration:
After quite a long time, the Lawang Sewu was done by the restoration which took a long time, finally finished at the end of June 2011 and reopened to the public after on July 5, 2011 inaugurated by First Lady Ani Bambang Yudhoyono and continued with Kriya Exhibition event Nusantara Featured featuring traditional products from all over the archipelago. The following photo photos Lawang Sewu post restoration:
History of Lawang Sewu:
The history of this building can not be separated from the history of railways in Indonesia because it was built as Het Hoofdkantoor Van de Nederlandsch - Indische Spoorweg Maatscappij (NIS) which is the headquarters of NIS, a private railway company in the reign of the Dutch East Indies who first built a railway line in Indonesia connecting Semarang with "Vorstenlanden" (Surakarta and Yogyakarta) with its first line of Semarang Tanggung Line 1867.
Initially the administration of NIS was held in Semarang NIS Station. The rapid growth of network followed by the increasing of work space requirement so that it was decided to build administration office in new location. The choice fell on a suburban land near the residence of the Dutch Indies Resident, at the southern tip of Bodjongweg Semarang. The NOS Board of Directors handed over the building's plans to Prof Jacob F Klinkhamer and B. J Ouendag, architects from Amsterdam Netherlands.
Implementation of pambangunan begun on 27 February 1904 and completed 1907. The condition of the land on the road must have improved first with 4 meters deep dig and replaced with a layer of volcanic. The first building that is done is a guard house and printing building, followed by the main building. After several years of use, office expansions were carried out by building additional buildings in 1916-1918.
In 1873 the first railroad in the Indies was completed. The road was built by Nederlandsch Indische Spoorweg maatschappij (NIS), a private company that received concessions from the colonial government to connect fertile agricultural areas in Central Java to the port city of Semarang (Durrant, 1972). The stations in Semarang are located in the pond not far from the harbor.
At the turn of the 20th century NIS built a huge new station station. In 1914 Tambaksari station was replaced by Tawang Station. In 1908 a new NIS headquarters was built, at the end of Bodjong road, at Wilhelmina Plein opposite the governor's residence.
The new NIS headquarters is a large 2-storey L-shaped building designed by J.F Klinkhamer and Ouendag in Renaissance Revival style (Sudrajat, 1991). According to Sudrajat the construction of the NIS headquarters in Semarang was typical of the early 2nd decade of the 20th century when ethical politics was introduced, when it "... There arose a substantial need to establish public buildings and housing, due to the expansion of the colonies, the decentralization of the colonial administration and the growth of private enterprise" .
The inhabitants of Semarang gave him the name "Lawang Sewu" (the thousandth door), referring to the door of the very many doors, which is the attempt of the architects to build a modern office building in accordance with the tropical climate of Semarang. All building materials imported from Europe except bricks, natural stone and teak.
At the same time the Youth Force of the Railway (AMKA) attempted to take over the train, fighting broke out between youth and Japanese soldiers, dozens of youth were killed in this building, 5 of them were buried in the yard (but in 1975 their bodies were moved to the Heroes Cemetery ). In front of Lawang Sewu stands a monument to commemorate those who died at the Battle of Five Days.
Shortly after independence Lawang Sewu used the Office of Railway Company, then the military took over this building, but now has returned to the hands of PT KAI.