History and the Origin of the Building of Jakarta Fatahillah Museum BuildingHistory of Fatahillah Museum Jakarta is one of the heritage buildings of the Dutch colonial era. In addition, this building is one of the historic buildings which is a silent witness of our nation's struggle for independence. Museum located in the central Jakarta area, it has its own interests. In addition to its location in the city center, this museum also keeps the history of the Dutch colonial period in the country especially in Jakarta.
Tour the historic museum, is one option of recreation, in addition to the terms of the meaning of learning but also give thought to us the next generation of the nation to appreciate the struggle of the heroes, through museum history Fatahillah in the following reviews.
At first historical museum Fatahillah is a Dutch colonial building that is used as a town hall. The inauguration of the building was made on 27 April 1626, by Governor-General Pieter de Carpentier (1623-1627) and built a new town hall building which was renovated on 25 January 1707, during the reign of Governor-General Joan van Hoorn and just finished on July 10 1710 in another period, namely the Governor-General Abraham van Riebeeck.
The building, which is used as the City Hall, also has functions as Court, Civil Registry Office, the place of worshipers on Sunday, and the Town Council (College van Scheppen). Then around 1925-1942, the building is also used to regulate the system of Government in West Java Province. Later in 1942-1945, functioned as an office where the collection of logistics Dai Nippon.
Then around 1919 to commemorate the establishment of Batavia to 300 years, Batavian townspeople, especially the Dutch people began to be interested to make history about the city of Batavia. Then in 1930, established a foundation named Oud Batavia (Old Batavia) which aims to gather everything about the history of the city of Batavia.
In 1936, Oud Batavia Museum was inaugurated by the Governor-General Tjarda van Starkenborgh Stachouwer (1936-1942), and opened to the public in 1939. After that in 1968 the building was handed over to the Government of DKI Jakarta and then used as a Museum in 1974.
Fatahillah MuseumIn the history of museum fatahillah based on its formation until we can visit until now, save the rest of the colonization in it. Formed into two floors with this basement, contains many historic relics namely:
- Downstairs: Contains VOC relics such as sculptures, handicraft ceramics such as inscriptions, earthenware, and rock discoveries found by archaeologists. There are also relics of original Betawi craft (Batavia) like the typical kitchen Betawi past
- Second Floor: There is Dutch heritage furniture from bed and paintings, complete with large windows overlooking the square. It is said that this large window used to see the death penalty of prisoners conducted in the middle of the square.
- Basement: No less important to this building is the dungeon's prison against the Dutch government. It consists of 5 narrow and musty rooms with iron pendulum, as the shackles of the legs of the prisoners.