Angel WaterfallAngel Falls or Salto Angel is the world's tallest free-fall waterfall with a height of 979 meters (3,212 feet) with an unhindered fall of about 807 meters (2,647 feet). This waterfall is located in Rio Caroni, Canaima National Park, Venezuela. Although first seen in the early 20th century by explorer Ernesto de Santa Cruz, this waterfall is not known to the world until it was officially discovered by American aviator James Crawford Angel who was flying to find the location of a gold mine. In 1936, James Angel returned and landed his plane near the waterfall. This waterfall is called "Angel Falls" to commemorate its discoverer, James Crawford Angel. The Pemon Indians call this waterfall "Auyan-tepui" ("Aiyan-tepui") meaning "Satan Mountain". Its official altitude was determined by the National Geographic Society in 1949. The waterfall is one of Venezuela's most famous tourist attractions.
History of Angel Falls
|James Crawford Angel (Jimmie)|
Visiting Angel Falls
Activities can be done in Canaima National Park
Interesting Facts About Angel FallsThere are some interesting facts to be found from this one waterfall. The beauty of the apparition it offers is able to sedate the tourists and make them chuckle in awe when first arrived at this place. Well, in addition to the beauty it has, here are some other important facts you need to know about Angel Falls:
- Angel Falls waterfall three times higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- Angel Falls is the highest waterfall in the world. In Spanish, this waterfall has the name salto angel that falls from a height of 3230.
- During the rainy season, Angel Falls will create its own weather. At certain times, those within a radius of one kilometer from this waterfall can feel the fog that is attached to their skin.
- Canaima National Park is divided into two parts, namely west and east. This angel waterfall is located in the west.
- Tourists are only allowed to visit the angel falls since 1990. The first visitors to this waterfall live in the Boulton camp, now known as Campamento Canaima.
- Jimmie Angel aircraft can be seen in the Maracay aeronautics museum.